Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pretending Evil Doesn't Exist

Lately I've been learning about things that outrage me.

I did a post on "lot lizards" - girls who are trafficked out at truck stops - about a year ago on the business blog.  I was hoping to raise awareness for Gracehaven House, a non-profit group in Ohio that is trying to create shelters for these girls.

Lately I have had a lot of traffic to the blog, which is unusual, unfortunately.  A LOT of people have been going to the particular post I did on lot lizards, which I thought was kind of strange.  About a month ago I had a guy comment saying that it was true - he had seen it.  Last night I got another comment basically thanking me for the tip because he was looking for local "w.....".  I wanted to throw up.  The LAST thing I wanted to do was tip the guy off.

Today I was reading an article about a person who purchased a cheap Halloween decoration a year ago.  Inside the decoration was a note pleading for help from a worker at the labor camp that had produced the decoration.

I post all kinds of stuff like this on the business facebook page and even my own facebook page, trying to raise awareness.  It is mostly ignored.  Yet, I'll post a picture of a piece of jewelry that just came in and people "like" it and respond a lot.

Why would people rather look at something pretty than look at evil and FIGHT it?

I think it is because we are ALL comfortable.  It hurts and makes us feel sick to look at evil.  We would rather look at things that are pretty and pretend the evil doesn't exist.

I don't know what to do with this because I can not stay silent.  I've prayed about what God wants me to do in this.  I've asked Him to send me to help, but none of those doors have opened.  I believe He wants me where I am.  But what do I do HERE?  Can I do anything to get people to want this to be different with me?